Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Times Gone By

It was another one of those nights where I had reached mental saturation. Lost and confused in the jungle of trigonometric mayhem, I was tired and my mind was twisted beyond any semblance of academic sanity.

I --as what I have always done in times like these-- closed the books, the notes, switched off the calculator, and packed everything up. 

I had the table lamp drench this room in it's mellow, soothing 3000K rays, and opened myself a nice bottle of chilled Budweiser.

Going through my -by now rather significantly sized- library of photos, I started off this time from the very beginning.

Pictures of me being seventeen. Pictures of places that are no longer the same. Pictures of people that are no longer with us. Pictures of family and friends and pets that remind you of a life you have all those thousands of kilometers away. Pictures that remind you of the places you went and all the things that happened back then. Pictures of gadgets and possessions deemed so valuable back then. Pictures of irrelevant things.

Pictures.

So much can be captured in pictures: the sights, the sounds, the people, the situation, the words spoken, the feelings felt, the thoughts you had, the dreams you were dreaming.

They reminded me so much of myself in the past, as well as all those around me. It's a stark contrast to the people we are today: so much more mature, so much more grown-up, so much more seasoned, so much more complex, so much... less innocent.

The days and the nights when things were so much simpler, so much more unhindered by so many responsibilities, so much more honest, so much more exciting, and so much more real, well, it's sad, isn't it... that they're all gone?

No comments: